I thought to create a simple page explaining the general process and fees for commission request. Please note that this is for sample reference, as each commission is unique, please email me at [email protected] to discuss personally in detail 🙂
- General Process
- Price Quotation
- Commission Samples
- Reference Materials
- Final artwork delivery and Printing
- Decide on the idea for the commission which you’d like.
- Email me ([email protected]) to receive an exact quotation based on the idea of the commission.
- Payment for commission once fee is agreed upon.
- I’ll ask for a list of photo references and details needed to start the commission.
- I’ll start off with a sketch usually and receive confirmation from you before proceeding
- I’ll then work on finishing the color version and send you the small image for final confirmation of fix/tweak if needed
- The final artwork hires digital file (approx 19cm x 19cm at 300dpi) is delivered via email
The quotation price is based on a $30-40 USD/hr rate. Usually a regular commission for 2 character is $150, and a 2 character + partial background is around $250. The commission fee depends on the complexity of the piece.
In general I only have time for perhaps 2-3 commission a week as I’m also drawing HJ-Story episode which is always released for free on the internet, hope everyone would understand the commission fee and that there might be a little queue/delay with commission turn-around time.
You can use the quote estimation tool on the page to get a general idea, and for exact quote, you can email me anytime at [email protected] or the contact form on the website.
There’s a 10% discount on the commission if you’re a Patreon supporter too! What is Patreon? It’s basically a monthly subscription to support HJ-Story for as low as $2/month and you cancel anytime! You’ll get monthly behind the scene sketch and contents and early preview of episodes, AND you’ll be supporting me to continue to draw HJ-Story to share with everyone! Visit our Patreon page for more info, and you can let us know your Patreon ID for the 10% discount!
Below are some samples of the various commission samples, for more samples please visit our commission page!
Single (No background)
Couple (No background)
Photo References and materials to get started for Commission
Because of HJ-Story’s art style, the caricature wouldn’t be focused as much on the face but more about the hairstyle, actual clothings that you own and other little personal and unique elements in the drawing to give the drawing an extra personal touch.
Here’s a list a typical checklist of things needed for commission:
- photo(s) that shows the face and hairstyle
- photo(s) of the clothings to be used in the drawing
- any extra photo that you think would help for the commission
- general description of pose and idea you’d like for the drawing and anything else that you’d like me to make note of for the commission.
Final artwork delivery and printing
As a personal recommendation, the printing generally looks better printed on a non-gloss matte surface paper. I personally likes the little subtle texture of canvas printing. A little thing to note when printing is that the color might turn out differently depending on the printer, as well as the type of paper/material it’s printed on. So you maybe have to experiment with the printing a little bit, so as the print shop for their professional opinion on the best material for the riches color.
Here’re a few samples of the photo of prints that others have sent me!